State-funded evacuation of Ghanaians from South Africa set for 21 May
The government says it will evacuate an initial batch of 300 Ghanaians from South Africa on 21 May 2026, following renewed xenophobic attacks targeting foreign nationals in parts of the country.
The Minister for Foreign Affairs,Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, announced that the evacuation has been approved by President John Dramani Mahama and will be fully funded by the state as part of efforts to protect affected citizens abroad.
He said the first group of evacuees will depart through the O.R. Tambo International Airport at 5:00 a.m. on May 21.
According to him, the decision follows government approval on 12 May for the immediate evacuation of Ghanaians affected by the violence, amid a broader response to safeguard nationals abroad.
He added that many of those being evacuated had previously responded to an advisory from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and registered with the Ghana High Commission, Pretoria for possible assistance.
South Africa has in recent years experienced periodic outbreaks of xenophobic violence, with foreign nationals and migrant-owned businesses frequently targeted during such incidents.
The ministry said the welfare and safety of Ghanaians remain a top priority, adding that it will continue to monitor developments and take additional steps where necessary.


